Sunday, February 5, 2012

Axe Cop: The funniest comic ever made

I was reading through the latest Dark Horse upcoming release email when something odd caught my eye.

"Axe Cop returns with a collection of new, exciting, and unpredictable stories! Written by the endlessly inventive six-year-old Malachai Nicolle and drawn by his Eisner Award–nominated thirty-year-old brother Ethan Nicolle, Axe Cop joins his comrades Uni-baby, Bat Warthog Man, and Dinosaur Soldier to fight bad guys and restore justice for kids--and grownups--everywhere!"

Is this for real, I wondered to myself? How good could it be? Curious, I downloaded the preview, and laughed myself sick. Having a son myself, I'm somewhat familiar with how a six-year-old boy's brain works, and this is the fantastically creative result: A world full of crazy heroes and villains, where all girls are on the Dumb list (except the best fairy ever), and the obvious solution to getting Bat Warthog Man's friends back is to buy a chemist and dinosaurs. Well, duh.

"All right, we just need some dinosaurs, and we'll be set."

"But why dinosaurs?"

"Because I don't know what's on Invisible Bad Guy King Planet 2, but whatever it is, I'm sure it can't beat dinosaurs."

The art compliments the content perfectly. It never takes itself too seriously, but it's not too goofy and cartoonish either. It's almost, but not quite, a noir style, which adds the needed weight to make this a perfect balance of story and art for all ages. My own son, who is fifteen now, found it hilarious too. I'm going to be buying these for sure, and probably getting some as gifts. Good clean head-chopping fun with monster trucks and robots. And, of course, dinosaurs in space.

"Well, Axe Cop, I've got my own missions to get back to. I have to fight a king who rides a dirt bike."

No comments:

Post a Comment